Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Embarrassing Moment at Kroger

Today I took the boys to the grocery store to do our shopping. As you all know, Caleb has a cast. Well, JD also has two bruises on his cheeks--he is pulling up on everything and trying to move around and he has hit himself on the table a couple of times. As we were checking out, the checker guy and bagger guy asked me what happened to Caleb and I explained. Then when the bagger (an elderly man) saw JD he told me something and it took me a while to grasp what he was saying. He said to me "i don't want to say what this suggests but with his broken arm and his bruises on his face if it is what i think you need to do something about it". I looked at him and said "huh?" I probably looked like a dumb brunette but I couldn't figure out what he meant. He kept saying it to me and I finally realized----this guy thinks my husband beats our whole family. I can't stop laughing as I write this but at the moment when I realized what he was talking about I said "Oh no no no its not anything like that". He probably didn't even believe me. I just couldn't get over it and as I walked out the store I just kept thinking, did he really say that?? I guess the reality for some is that is the problem, an abusive home. But to me, it was hilarious because we are so far from that but to this stranger we were being abused. Not funny for those who live that reality but for me, I am still laughing!

1 comment:

Morgan said...

Ashley, Jerry and I have a safe place for you and the boys to come if you need to get away from you-know-who. I'm just sayin'