Monday, March 23, 2009

My Children's Love Languages

">

Ok, lets start with the easy one. JD's love language is quality time. Of course, he is so little it is hard to tell what his true love language will be but right now it is obviously time. He can't do anything by himself yet, so we have to be with him at all times and do everything for him (so would that be acts of service too!).
He is such a laid back baby and is always so happy! We are blessed tremendously. It is so fun to watch him grow; he is now able to sit up and he wishes he could crawl. His personality is starting to come out too! I see the light in his eyes when he watches Robby play with Caleb. JD wants to do everything Caleb does and wants to be big enough to tackle and wrestle with the both of them. He just smiles and laughs at Robby and Caleb whenever they play together.

Now, for Caleb, it may be easier to ask which love language he is not. I can see all of the love languages in him. At the top, though, I would have to say words of affirmation. He loves to be encouraged and praised when he accomplishes something. Whether its putting a puzzle together, eating all his dinner, putting his dirty clothes in the hamper, he loves for you to praise him and if you don't he will point out what he did so that you will. He is very sensitive when he does not figure something out on his own or does not do something just right. He gets mad at himself for not being able to complete whatever task he is trying (he gets that from his father). Second, I would say also quality time. He of course loves for us to spend time playing with him (I cannot wait until JD is old enough so they can play together).

I would also have to say that Caleb likes acts of service--what 3 year old doesn't like to be served (mommy, get me a drink, help me find my toy, etc). And he of course also likes to receive gifts (another one any child would love). He gets so excited if we bring him a surprise (big or small, it doesn't matter). Last, physical touch--he also loves hugs and kisses. He loves for you to tickle his back or arm when he falls asleep.

As Wendy mentioned in her post, I know each one of my boys will change over the span of their childhood. One love language will outweigh another depending on the season of their life. I love to watch them grow and I think it is so important to remember to meet their love languages! In marriage, it is vital to meet your spouse's love language. We all know we want our own needs to be met; so we have to sacrifice and meet the needs of others as well. Thanks Wendy for a great reminder of this today!

No comments: