As some of you know, I had quite a fiasco with JD's birthday cake for his party! The lady that does my cakes was supposed to do this one also but had to call and cancel because she was going to be out of town later than she expected. She felt terrible but gave me her friend's number who also does cakes. Well, I could never get in touch with her and by Wednesday I just had to get something going (party was saturday). I called Kay's Bakery, which has been in business ever since I was little. I wasn't sure they did birthday cakes anymore because I had heard they were only doing weddings now. Well when I called they said they did do birthday cakes so I explained what I wanted. Note that the man I was talking to was from another country so his english was not up to par. Here is what I told him (which I repeated 3 times at least): "White round cake with White icing. I want pumpkins around the sides of the cake and chocolate brown icing on the top trim and bottom trim. I want it to look like fall. I DO NOT want it to look like halloween!! Do you understand that...and I began to repeat myself again---no halloween!" After I got off the phone I had a bad feeling. I called my mom who tried to reassure me it would look fine. I, too, thought, don't worry, they will do it right. As I told my friends, I was worried it was going to say happy birthday dj instead of jd. Boy do I wish that was what had happened! When I got there, it was hideous!!!! The cake was blue, black and green icing and was decorated--you guessed it--for halloween!! It had spiders and one tiny, tiny pumpkin on top. What did I specifically tell them; well they didn't do it!! I looked at him and told him it was completely wrong. He said he could fix it and I looked at him like he was crazy because he told me he could re-ice it and it would look right. No thank you! I left without the cake; I was not going to pay for that awful thing! Kroger saved me and had some cute fall cakes with brown and orange and we ended up having a wonderful party! I had to tell myself over and over, Ashley its just a cake, its just a cake. But you mommies understand me when I tell you I almost cried over it standing right in the bakery. My baby's 1st cake and it was a disaster!
If I would have had the guts to compose myself and go back in the bakery I would have you a picture! I could not gather myself to take one more look at that pitiful cake! Use your imagination and then whatever you can imagine, it was 10 times worse!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
That's so funny! I'm laughing so hard picturing a sweet little one-year-old in front of a horror cake!! Glad you didn't go through with it...;)
Post a Comment